Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cake and calories

There is something to be said for all that calorie burn that happens at gyms.It gives me at least the confidence to try out new things (as in food).It also teaches me to overcome my biggest fears.For instance when baking a cake.We all know that baking is about precision but then look at it this way.What can possibly go wrong with a combination of eggs,butter,chocolate,and flour.Nothing really,it may not look like the real thing if the measurements go wrong but its still edible.So to overcome my latent fear of all things measurable,I started with chocolate pudding.The first attempt went drastically wrong so we had to drink thick,gooey chocolate for days on end.At the second attempt it was better,firm like its supposed to be but a little fine tuning required.
The cake was a different story altogether.The first thing about embarking on a journey of uncharted territories is that it comes with its own set of baggage,so remember to bake requires equipment.My fist investment was in an oven,followed by a hand blender and now i am on the look out for a good baking dish.The wonder of mastering measurements is to convert all into cup measures.This way depending on the cup size one can determine the size of the cake and also decrease or increase on requirement.My sister is who is a master of the short cut introduced me to the cup measure .Yesterday a new cake was baked and it came out beautifully and tasted so yummy that my first faltering steps into baking are proving to be just a wee bit rewarding.This of course means that i cant stop now and that the calories will build up,but then again with a one year membership at the gym all is well that ends well

No comments: