Saturday, April 18, 2009

Simple and safe

Having lived in one culture for years and having grown up to eat the lovely food of kerala,it took a while to appreciate another Indian culture and the foods that go with it.Simple south Indian food always appealed but vegetarian food not being my favourite,it took a while.In fact it took around ten years for me to zero in on the things i liked about the Telugu Brahmin's recipes.The much loved pulisu was something I stayed away from simply because it didn't look too good.But it takes a foodie to inspire one so on one visit to the husbands aunts house(she is a fine cook and loves food) the pulisu was the food of honour at the table.After much persuasion I tested and tasted and was hooked.The simplicity of the dish and the taste can lull any novice into thinking they are master chefs.But like all recipes,each household has their little variations.I checked out the taste at a few homes and zeroed in on my own version which the husband claims can rival his mothers recipe and coming from a man that must be the biggest compliment.After perfecting the recipe and deleting a few things and adding a few more I have hit upon the pulisu that passes muster at our house and is a neat dish to dish up when one is low on lentils,vegetables or are too lazy to run to the vegetable stall and stock up.Fusion is the operative word so I have started mixing telegu and mallu cooking

No comments: